In Task 3 each Team should focus on how they will:
- Manage weeds within their Spring Barley to ensure they do not compete with the crop and damage yield or reduce grain quality, and
- Use PGR’s to manipulate the crop to produce a robust plant architecture that will maximise yield.
- Listen to the description and detail that Dick Neale provides (in the video below) about the crop and the current circumstances, and decide:
- how you will use PGR’s (and perhaps other inputs?) to manipulate this crop
- how you will approach the management of weeds within your crop, and what treatments you would make if you decide to do anything further around black grass management
- how you would advise the sprayer operator to set up his sprayer for best coverage/crop penetration for herbicide treatments (think about nozzle choice, water volume, forward speed etc)
- The period of time to consider for your spring barley crop with these inputs is from now (early emergence) through to when the use of PGR’s is no longer possible – which is typically around early stem extension for chlormequat based products and up to flag leaf for other materials.
Your closing date for submission of Task 3 is 5th April